Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas from us!


Behold the yearly Gubser update. Enjoy!
Winter 2008

Due to the nature of the current economy, my lack of Spanish-speaking skills, and my unwillingness to settle for a $10/hour job, I struggled to re-enter the workforce when we first moved here in May. So, I started substitute teaching at the end of the spring semester and realized how much I love being in the classroom. This fall semester brought me lots of experiences in a variety of elementary through middle school classrooms; thanks mostly to John and Marsha’s schools. After much thought and Josh’s encouragement I have decided to go back to school for a teaching credential in special education. I am very excited to start this spring and hope to finish (if I can manage) by fall of next year.

My extra-curricular activities have included conducting vegan culinary experiments with the abundance of veggies we were receiving from an organic farm, caring for our CRAZY adopted dog, Marley, and singing in our church’s community choir. I’ve recently revived my love for singing but I still do not have the courage to do a solo! Maybe that will be on 2009’s list of goals.


This year marks Lincoln’s second Christmas! He is very excited and pretty much knows what’s going on. I always swore I wouldn’t over do it with gifts for my children but both Josh and I are finding it very difficult to refrain from buying him a gaggle of gifts. To see his face light up at the sight of something new is pure awesomeness! However, even things like socks and shoes will no doubt be among his favorite gifts!

Lincoln is a 1 year 9 months old as of December 19. He is a full-fledged toddler with many silly quirks that endlessly entertain us. For example, the child loves shoes. All shoes! He especially prefers the glittery pink flats I wore to my wedding! He also is a fanatic of hats, scooters, and airplanes. He loves to change clothes many times during the day and play dress-up! Sometimes I think God blessed me with a boy with just enough typical femininity to satisfy my girly desires! Despite his feminine side he is quite an active, adventurous, and daring boy. He loves to climb new (and dangerous) playground equipment without properly notifying Josh or me and drive his Tow Mater truck off the ottoman. He loves to bang things, make guttural car and airplane noises, and throw and kick balls! The usual! Josh and I are eternally in love with him and are giddy at the sight of a new skill or the sound of a new word! “Peesh, peesh” = please.


Leaving construction in the dust, Josh has acquired a new “hobby” this year! A few months ago he bought a 1981 Peugeot 505. It’s not one of the more attractive vintage vehicles (Josh disagrees) but it is a diesel, therefore, making it possible to run it on B20. B20 is diesel fuel that is made from 20% vegetable oil. In 2009, he hopes to convert it to full-veggie power! Go VEGAN!

Currently, he’s working for the City of Monterey as a Recycling Technician. He is in charge of expanding the recycling program to the hotels, bars, and restaurants in Monterey. He’s done an amazing job even though he says, “it feels like sales sometimes.” 2009 may bring yet another career change for Josh. Ultimately, he’d be happiest as a college professor but that’s unfortunately not doable at this time in our lives. There are no universities around that offer PhDs in Theology or Philosophy. So…he may stay with the City in a different job or work for a non-profit in the environmental field. He will start substitute teaching part-time, also. Meanwhile, he continues to study and write theology in his minimal spare time and enjoys facilitating a conversation with our community group even if most of them think he’s crazy because his theological perspectives are atypical.
We love living near Josh’s family here in Salinas. It’s between Monterey and Santa Cruz about 20 minutes inland from Monterey Bay. It’s an amazingly beautiful area and I love that it NEVER snows!

With so much love from us we wish you a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy New Year, and Happy Birthday!

Alison, Josh, & Lincoln

2 comments:

Jake and Emily said...

That is the best picture! I love when kids have laughter in their eyes! Wish you were here. Emily

The Cornell's said...

yeah! I am excited that you are going to be a teacher. :)